Bookmarks with Quotations

 Hello! Hello! Welcome back to my blog! I hope you are all doing well! Today –as usual—I’m brought a reading text and a listening text to you all, and I made bookmarks! My very own designs, uniquely made with my favorite quotes from both stories. Let’s have a look, shall we?

 

First up is from The Scarlet Letter, a beautiful novel created by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It has around 60.000 words, so I think my bookmark would be a wonderful reminder for you to get one if you’re planning to read this (if you’re getting the physical copy). I’m going to tell you a short summary of the novel, the story is set in a village in Puritan New England. The main character is Hester Prynne, a young woman who has borne a child out of wedlock. Hester believes herself a widow, but her husband, Roger Chillingworth, arrives in New England very much alive and conceals his identity. After Hester refuses to name her lover, Chillingworth becomes obsessed with finding his identity. When he learns that the man in question is Arthur Dimmesdale, a saintly young minister who is the leader of those exhorting her to name the child’s father, Chillingworth proceeds to torment him. Stricken by guilt, Dimmesdale becomes increasingly ill. In the end, Chillingworth is morally degraded by his monomaniacal pursuit of revenge. Dimmesdale is broken by his own sense of guilt, and he publicly confesses his adultery before dying in Hester’s arms.

 


Now, you must be wondering, where does that quote come from? Well, I took it from a scene where Reverend Dimmesdale is overcome with guilt for making Hester Prynne an outcast in the city. She has a red letter on her chest for giving birth to her illegitimate child, but she has to keep a friendly ministerial position to keep her relationship hidden. Meanwhile, Roger Chillingworth tortured Dimmesdale psychologically for his crimes. When Chillingworth reaches this point in the book, he finds Dimmesdale on the same scaffolding where Hester was humiliated seven years ago... and convinces him not to confess to his crimes. Chillingworth basically informed Dimmesdale that he had read far too many books. He was overthinking it. During the day, he becomes too dreamy and reflective, and now he's sleepwalked up to the scaffold and considered doing something stupid—confessing to a crime he's actually committed. No one suspects him of this crime! The one who said this line is the physician, and I chose this quote because I want to walk in my sleep and dream in my waking hours. My waking moments should be dreamy, whimsical, and perfect. And I want my sleeping moments to be intentional, deliberate, and genuine. I want to be backward.

 

Now the second one is from a movie titled Maleficent:Mistress of Evil, directed by Joachim Rønning, and written by Linda Woolverton, Micah Fitzerman-Blue, and Noah Harpster. The story is about Maleficent travels to a grand old castle to celebrate Aurora's impending marriage to Prince Phillip. While there, she meets Aurora's future mother-in-law, a devious queen who hatches a scheme to destroy the land's fairies. Maleficent joins forces with a seasoned warrior and a group of outcasts to battle the queen and her powerful army in an attempt to stop her.

 


The quote was said by the priest when Aurora married Prince Phillip. The priest refers to the fact that Aurora was the Queen of the Moors and Prince Phillip as the prince of Ulstead, whose queen sees Maleficent as a villain and a threat to the kingdom. Despite all that, Aurora and Prince Phillip insist on marriage to unite the two kingdoms, hence “We are not defined by where we're from, but by whom we love”. I chose that quote because it’s similar to today’s issue –at least mine—yet is circulating around racism towards multiracial people. Feeling like an outsider is common for those who have experienced rejection or discrimination.

 

So, what do you think about my bookmarks? Pretty neat, huh? Well, I guess that’s all for now. I’ll see you all in another post!

Ciao!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suit Up!

The Perfect Song

My Emoji Stories